There are always three speeches, for everyone you actually gave. The one you practiced, the one you gave, and the one you wish you gave – Dale Carnegie
Hello everyone, brief introduction for those who don't know me, my name is Evelyn, currently a year 1 Economics major.
I often wished that I would say what I envisioned myself to say when I’m doing a presentation or having a conversation. Sadly that is not the case, as I tend to keep my opinions to myself since I find it hard to express for fear of embarrassment. Perhaps this is why I find working in groups intimidating because it is hard to convince or explain why I see things a certain way. Also, my bad habit of speaking too quickly often gets the better of me. I think that effective communication skills are important, there is a need to know how to convey your ideas to your listeners and avoid any barriers that prevent your ideas from being received differently.
I often wished that I would say what I envisioned myself to say when I’m doing a presentation or having a conversation. Sadly that is not the case, as I tend to keep my opinions to myself since I find it hard to express for fear of embarrassment. Perhaps this is why I find working in groups intimidating because it is hard to convince or explain why I see things a certain way. Also, my bad habit of speaking too quickly often gets the better of me. I think that effective communication skills are important, there is a need to know how to convey your ideas to your listeners and avoid any barriers that prevent your ideas from being received differently.
Written communication skills are equally essential.
Being part of NUS Economics Society made me realize how important it is to
present your ideas clearly and coherently through emails as we have to
constantly source for sponsors and companies to collaborate with us. We are
only given one chance to convince those companies. If we mess up the email, the
result is often a rejection reply.
The need for effective communication in the working
world is quite evident. Working at Raffles Medical caused me to understand how
crucial it is to communicate messages effectively. Wrong prescription dosage due
to the wrong interpretation of the message can cause inconvenience, as one will
have to follow up with the patient to amend the mistake. The need to take note
of patient’s non-verbal communication is also another important factor since
impatient people often cause a scene if they are not assured that it will be
their turn.
To end off, I really hope to be an effective
communicator after this semester as I'm sure that these skills will aid me in
the long run. (:
Hi there Evelyn (:
ReplyDeleteFirstly, I totally understand you when it comes feeling embarrassed about speaking up. I used to feel that way too. But I just wanted you to know that it is okay to do that as you will be more careful of what you say and make insightful comments rather than frivolous ones. However, too much is not good as well as I feel that silence will also cause one to be misunderstood as well.
I like the part whereby you stressed on the importance of non-verbal communication. In my course (social work), we are taught that "what is not said is usually more important than what is said". This is because humans may lie and say things they do not mean, but subtle facial expressions, nuances or tones will give us a much clearer picture of the true situation.
Anyway, that's all from me (:
P.S.: I am not a fan of pink but I really do find this tea party theme really cute :3
-Sarah L.
hello Sarah !
Deletethanks so much for your comment.
I'm trying to speak up more in class now but my ears never fail to turn red, haha.
Hopefully i will be able to more confident in speaking up in the future.
Yeah from last lesson, when i realize that a huge percentage is based on non verbal communication i was shocked ! I did not expect such a high percentage cause i always thought that verbal percentage would be a higher or at least equivalent to non verbal communication percentage.
And thank you! i love the cute cups as well(:
-Evelyn
Hi Evelyn,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that without a good communication skill, people often misinterpreted what one actually means when good intention turn into misunderstanding due to communication breakdown. This often occur due to the wrong word or tone usage during a conversation and people often has a different interpretation than what we intended to say.
Renaldy
Hi Renaldy,
DeleteThanks for your comment (:
yeah i agree that different people will have different interpretation of different sentences or choice of words.
i should be very careful how i phrase my words ! haha
-Evelyn
Hello Evelyn,
ReplyDeleteDon't worry too much about your public speaking skills, as a freshman, your time in NUS has just began. There will be many opportunities in your course for debates, presentations, etc. Do volunteer to be the presenter as much as possible, make all the mistakes you can while you're still studying and learn from them. The mistakes made at work can be quite costly.
You can watch more youtube videos on charismatic leaders, observe how they manage to speak so confidently and persuasively, and then learn from them. My favorite guy on youtube is Obama, watched some of his debate against Romney and I was so impressed on how he manages to come up with a quality responses so quickly.
Hope what I said is of help to you.
-Joe
Hi Joe,
DeleteThanks for commenting !
And yeah i shall go watch some of Obama public speaking videos, though i don't really like politics haha.
I think its nice to be able to process information quickly and deliver your response in a confident manner.
-Evelyn