Tuesday, 19 February 2013

Application letter


“It is never too late to be what you might have been.” - George Eliot

Hi all,
Below is my draft of an application letter. It is actually quite hard because i do not have a lot of extra CCA or activities to include which can serves to illustrate what skills i have. Hopefully that in the next few years i am able to take on more roles so i am able to make my application letter more attractive. After all, companies will usually just take one glance at it. #woesofayear1 haha. 
Kindly look though and see how else i can improve it ! Thank ! (:

Internship link can be found here:
http://www.edb.gov.sg/content/edb/en/careers/scholarship-and-internship/internship/about-internship.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17 February 2013

Economic Development Board (EDB)

250 North Bridge Road
#28-00 Raffles CIty Tower 
SIngapore, SIngapore 179101

Dear Sir/Madam



Application For the Summer Internship- "Quantifying / qualifying the contribution of foreign workers in economic development" With EDB Human Capital DIvision


I am writing to you in response to your post regarding Internship opportunities which I am interested in. That post appeared on the EDB facebook page dated 18 January 2013. 

My name is Evelyn Chew and I am currently a year one undergraduate majoring in Economics at the National University of Singapore (NUS). The reason why I am applying for this internship is due to my keen interest in analysis and research that is key for the economic division. With my career goal to be an economist, I am passionate about issues regarding the economic sector of SIngapore. This project will allow me to firstly better understand Singapore's economic development and examine critically the reasons for foreign policies in the human capital.


My passion in economics can be seen through my co-cirricular activity, joining the NUS Economics Society. Currently holding the Director of Student Welfare position, I am given many opportunities. Opportunities like being the student moderator for a talk held recently catered to more than 70 participants helped me to hone my public speaking skills. Also through administering a variety of social welfare events for economics student such as social day with my sub-committees has hone my leadership skills. Through all these I learned how to handle the pressure of a demanding but rewarding service. I am able to plan, implement and ensure that every detail was noted and accounted for. Also, my creative skills can be seen through my volunteering in NUS Charity Fiesta 2013 in which I was the Program director. With my team, I am able to come up with new ideas and plans to make the event a fun-filled one. 


Lastly, I am able to commit during my school holidays as this will be held from May 2013- July 2013. I do hope that you will give me this opportunity to be part of the EDB team as I believe that I have the skills and qualifications which you look for in an intern given my interpersonal skills, meticulousness in my work and having a creative mindset as displayed above. 

I look forward to meeting you in person to discuss what my enclosed resume is not able to furnish. Attached is a copy of my resume for your kind perusal, which will fully details my qualification for the position. Should you require any clarifications on it, please feel free to contact me. I can be reached at evelynchew@nus.edu.sg or +65 83542768. 

Thank you very much for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon !


Yours sincerely
Evelyn Chew (Ms.)
National University of Singapore- Faculty of Arts and Social Science
Economics
HP: (+65) 83542768
Email: evelynchew@nus.edu.sg

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Evelyn,

    Firstly, I would like to say that this letter is pretty good and it just needs a few minor adjustments. I liked how you managed to relate your passion to the job and it really shows that you can also be passionate about the job as well. It is alright if you do not have that many activities to draw from. It is the lessons learnt that are important.

    Anyway, firstly, I feel it would be better to put your name and your contact details at the top of the page above that of the employers because I feel it is better for quicker identification. Also, if you do this, you need not introduce yourself again in the opening paragraph or repeat your contact details at the end paragraph.

    The next suggestion would be that if I am not mistaken, if you do not address it to a specific person i.e. you write a general "Dear Sir/Madam" then your signing off should be Yours faithfully instead of Yours sincerely. Sincerely is for when there is a specific person.

    Lastly, you might want to link your skills learnt back to the job. Yes, you mentioned that "implement and ensure that every detail was noted and accounted for" but how is this important to the job you are applying for? Maybe you can say that this skill will be an asset as you will be able to effectively account for all the data collected thus ensuring maximum accuracy (or something along that line).

    Hope that helps! (:

    ~Sarah L.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.